Self-Care for Moms: It's Not Selfish, It's Essential
FIT4MOM x Jessica Maurer
Being a mom is one of the most rewarding experiences in life, but it can also be one of the most challenging. Moms are constantly giving of themselves, both physically and emotionally; it's no wonder that they often feel exhausted, exhilarated, stressed, loved, and burned out. We get it—it’s a complicated life!
That's why it's so important for moms to take time for themselves. At FIT4MOM, we stand with the phrase “self-care is not selfish.” It's essential for your physical and mental health and can make you a better mom! But what is self-care?
Self-care is the practice of taking an active role in maintaining one's well-being and happiness. Self-care can include getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, exercising, and spending time with loved ones. There are many different self-care activities, but they all share the same core idea: that it is essential to take care of yourself to be healthy and happy. Self-care can be anything that helps you feel better physically, mentally, and emotionally.
It doesn't have to be massages and spa days, Mama (but if that's your thing, go for it!). Some common examples of self-care activities include:
Getting enough sleep
Eating a healthy diet
Spending time in nature
Practicing relaxation techniques such as yoga or meditation
Spending time with loved ones
Doing things you enjoy (yep, anything that brings you happiness!)
Setting boundaries and saying no
Making doctor's appointments
Seeking professional help if needed
In fact, moms who practiced regular self-care reported the following:
- Taking time for self-care helped to reduce stress and anxiety, improved sleep, and boosted overall mood.
Self-care helped to improve moms' mental health by improving self-esteem and resilience.
When moms were well-rested and cared for themselves, they reported more energy to devote to their families and other responsibilities.
They were better able to connect with their partners, children, and loved ones.
and a bonus: self-care can help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes!
So, are you ready to start a new self-care routine? We are here to help you, Mama!
- Exercise regularly. Exercise is a great way to reduce stress, improve mood, and boost energy levels. Specific exercises have been shown to release endorphins, which you can read more about in our blog “5 Ways to Boost Your Workout and Mood.”
- Get enough sleep. When moms are well-rested, they can better cope with motherhood's demands.
- Eat a healthy diet. Eating a healthy diet can help to improve physical and mental health.
- Spend time with loved ones. Connecting with loved ones can help to reduce stress and improve mood. Try these 5 Family-Friendly Movement Activities today.
- Do something you enjoy. Whether reading, taking a bath, or going for a walk, make time for activities you enjoy.
- Ask for help. Don't be afraid to ask for help from your partner, family, or friends.
.If you aren’t sure where to start, we've got you. Please meet Body Well—our 8-week mom-only program that includes weekly workouts, group accountability, nutritional guidance, recipes, and weekly challenges to help you improve your physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Yes, all of the aspects of self-care are included in this transformational program!
This program is customized by setting goals, tracking habits, and working with your coach. Find the extra motivation you need in this small group setting within FIT4MOM’s motherhood sisterhood. Taking time for yourself is not always easy, but it's vital for your health and well-being and we are here to help.
Find your happiness with us, mama.