"Forbes produced an article titled, Before Breaking The Glass Ceiling, Women Must Climb The Maternal Wall. As a mother of two boys and a proud member of the BIPOC community, this wall is stacked even higher with bricks full of workplace maternal bias, inflexible schedules, and job insecurity. Our franchisees and employees enjoy the flexibility to be available to their children while attaining financial wealth for generations to come!"
- Kia Edwards, D&I and HR Manager & Mompreneur
United In Motherhood
As a company that values love and inclusivity, we take a stand to support and welcome all moms, regardless of disabilities, gender identity, religion, sex, socioeconomic, marital status, and ethnic backgrounds.
We forbid any affiliation with racism, discrimination, harassment, or intimidation at FIT4MOM.
We know that real, meaningful change comes through action, and we are committing to listening, learning, and educating our franchisees, instructors, and communities nationwide on ways we can do better and impact real change in our communities.
What have we been working on lately? Glad you asked!
We are creating strategies to…..
Build relationships with organizations in the industry that support diverse talent that identify as BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, Veteran, and other Identity Groups starting in 2022
Reconsider company organizational structure to create talent retention and succession planning starting in 2022
Launch BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, Veteran, and other Identity Groups Franchisee ownership initiatives across the nation
Inclusion, Belonging & Well Being
We have started and will continue to...
Expand HQ employees’ job satisfaction and sense of belonging by offering impactful + diversity conscious culture events quarterly
Launched Diversity Committee Accountability + Action commitment and Education SMART Goals
Diversity + Inclusion Advocacy + Education Topics
- Shared on FIT4MOM Social Media platforms using #F4MINCLUSIVITY
- Shared on Internal Social Media Page “Mosaic"
- Micro Lessons + Listening Session for al staff, instructors and franchisees nationwide
We are currently and desire to expand upon...
Financial Inclusivity: committed to purchasing gifts and retail items from business owners who identify as BIPOC, veteran owned, or other identity groups in an effort to promote diverse suppliers and small business owners.
Monthly D&I + Marketing partnership where social media content and imagery educates and advocates to pre and post natal health issues and magnifying the stories and experiences of BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and other identity groups.
More diverse representation of models that represent various races, ethnicities, ages, body types and stages of motherhood in our marketing and retail photo + video shoots.
To support Black maternal health, FIT4MOM created a WomanKind shirt to show solidarity and we're donating 100% of proceeds to Black Mamas Matter Alliance; along with a Unity Tote to support the Black Women's Health Imperative.
Continued collaborations with Liberty Military Housing in San Diego and looking to expand the partnership to collaborate with other military entities in San Diego and across the country.
We are planning to….
Publish FIT4MOM’s D&I metrics internally and externally to show accountability in the following key areas: Talent Acquisition, Talent Retention, Franchisee Ownership, Education, Diversity Committee, and Marketing. Slated to launch in 2022.
Diversity and Inclusion Achievements
We are proud of our most recent accomplishments in the D&I space!
Staffing + Resources
- Hired an EDI consultant
- Hired a FIT4MOM EDI Manager
- Started a Diversity Committee
- Started Mosaic, an internal social forum for DEI conversation
- Provided resources for instructors and franchisees on diversity, equality and inclusion
- Developed company positioning on diversity and community guidelines
- Anti-Racism For Wellness Professionals Workshop
- ED&I for Wellness Professionals Workshop
- Listening Session I & II
- Understanding Diversity through Identity Construction
- Creating Diversity & Inclusion in the Fitness Industry
- Launching FIT4MOM Diversity Training for new staff, instructors and franchise owners
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. fibroid awareness event sponsor
Marketing + Retail
- Sharing stories on social media featuring BIPOC + LGBTQIA+ moms
- Diversity and inclusion posts on social media a minimum of 2x monthly
- United in Motherhood Shirt 100% of shirt proceeds donated to Black Mamas Matter Alliance
- FIT4MOM Unity Tote Donations to support Black Women’s Health Imperative
- Diverse representation of models in marketing and retail photo and video shoots
- Follow our D&I social content via hashtag #F4MINCLUSIVITY
Education + Resources
In addition, we'd like to share some powerful resources you can use to educate yourselves and talk to your children because we believe that each day presents an opportunity to raise our children to be kind and help shape a better, more inclusive world.
- The Conscious Kid: Parenting and Education through a Critical Race Lens.
- HereWeeRead: Helping parents find diverse books, educational products, and raise curious kids.
- Watch CNN and Sesame Street Town Hall on Racism with your family: Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms takes questions along with CNN's Van Jones and Erica Hill about how to combat racism and shares a message with kids about how to make a change.
- So You Want to Talk about Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- How to be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Me and White Supremacy: a guided journal by Layla Saad
- Waking up White by Debby Irving
- Black Mamas Matter Alliance - The Black Mamas Matter Alliance advocates drives research, builds power, and shifts culture for Black maternal health, rights, and justice.
- The Black Women's Health Imperative - a national organization dedicated to improving the health and wellness of Black women and girls in the U.S. - physically, emotionally, and financially.