Prep Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 1 hr. 15 mins
Makes 8 servings (1 x 9-inch pie)
· 4 cups organic, all-purpose flour
· 1 ½ cups Organic Valley Salted Butter, cut into ½-inch cubes, chilled in freezer at least 15 minutes
· 2/3 cup Organic Valley Whole Milk, cold
· ½ tsp salt
· 1 tbsp sugar
· 2 pounds organic Granny Smith apples (10-11 medium-sized apples or 4 large), peeled, cored and cut into ½-inch thick slices (coat slices with juice of 1 lemon to prevent browning)
· 4 tbsp Organic Valley Salted Butter
· 1 cup sugar
· ¼ cup Disaronno liqueur (optional)
· 2 tbsp cornstarch
· 2 tbsp apple juice
· 1 tsp cinnamon
· 1/8 tsp cardamom
· 1/8 tsp cloves
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
Bourbon Caramel Topping Ingredients:
· 2 and 2/3 cups Organic Valley Heavy Whipping
· 3 and 1/3 cups sugar
· 1 cup water
· ¼ cup bourbon (optional)
· 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, or 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
Instructions: To make the dough
1. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or fork or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal with pea-sized pieces of butter.
2. Add milk gradually until mixture is just combined. If dough just sticks together when pinched with small dry cracks, the dough is ready.
3. Turn the dough onto a work surface. Divide in half, shaping each portion into a disk. Tightly wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 1 week if using later.
4. Position rack at bottom third of oven and preheat to 375 degrees.
5. Remove dough from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each disk into a 12-inch round of about 1/8-inch thickness, setting one aside when complete. Roll finished round onto rolling pin, gently unrolling onto 9-inch pie plate. Gently unfold and press down to line the bottom and sides of dish. Do not trim excess dough at this time.
Extra pie crust dough can be wrapped tightly and refrigerated up to one week for another application, or make pie crust cookies!
Instructions: Make the filling
1. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and apple juice and whisk with fork. Set aside.
2. In a large, heavy pot, melt butter and sugar on medium high heat, stirring only until sugar dissolves (7 to 8 minutes). Cook until sugar is caramelized and add the apples, (approximately 8 minutes, or until caramel “seizes”). Stir well until smooth, and add the Disaronno (optional). Cook on medium high heat stirring occasionally until the apples soften (about 8 minutes).
3. Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, vanilla and cornstarch mixture. Stir constantly and cook until mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes. (Note: there may be small pieces of caramel clinging to apples which will melt upon baking.)
4. Pour filling into pie pan lined with dough. Pat apple slices flat and top with reserved dough, pinching top and bottom of dough rounds firmly together. Trim excess dough, leaving 1 inch overhang. Flute edges by using index finger to push the outer edge in while pinching the inner edge with other index finger and thumb. Cut 8 small parallel slits near edge of top crust to allow steam to vent while baking.
5. Whisk egg in a small bowl. Brush a thin layer of egg over top of the pie and finish by sprinkling with sugar.
6. Place pie on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet to catch drippings.
7. Bake 20-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
8. Cool before cutting. Serve cool or warm with Bourbon Caramel Topping and whipped cream.
Instructions: Make the topping
1. Combine cream and bourbon in a small pot and bring to a low simmer (do not boil). Continue to simmer as you prepare the next step.
2. In a medium sized pot, bring water, sugar and vanilla to boil. Continue boiling until sugar caramelizes and turns a dark amber color.
3. Slowly whisk in cream mixture. This will cause sugar to steam (be very careful as mixture is extremely hot). If sugar “seizes,” return to heat and whisk constantly until sugar melts and is smooth. Strain through a sieve and cool. Stir before use.