My upcoming book is called The Empowered Mama. What does empower mean to you? To me, it means to have choice in my own life. It’s about looking at who you are and becoming aware of your unique self. Personal empowerment helps you develop the strength and confidence you need to fulfill your potential.
Empower Others While Taking Care Of Yourself
"When you learn how to take care of yourself, it can be the single most important gift you give your family...we let go of resentment from feeling overwhelmed and constantly stress."
I find it’s very challenging for moms to take care of themselves and their families. They seem like polar-opposite goals. That is not the case. When you learn how to take care of yourself, it can be the single most important gift you give your family. If we learn how to take care of ourself, we let go of resentment from feeling overwhelmed and constantly stress. We let go of that constant feeling of self-sacrifice. Your children will learn from you. They will see how you take care of yourself. They will learn how to take care of themselves. So, below are a few tips to empower others while taking care of yourself.
1. Say no every single day. Think about all of the things you say yes to at the end of any given day. Maybe making meals, doing laundry, work, driving people places. But that’s not all. What about saying yes to social media, texts, email? If you want to empower others and take care of you, say no. Say yes to only what is most important to succeed in your life. Empower your kids to empty the dishwasher or put their clothes away. Empower your hubby to run an errand. You decide how much you can get done and stay sane. Every time you say yes to something, you are saying no to something else. Like maybe an extra minute of time for you.
2. My second tip to you is to give. Give of your heart. Take the time to smile and connect to the grocery store clerk. Maybe give a handout to someone in need. Give a meaningful hug. Give a compliment. It’s quite magical really. The more you give, the more you get. And it will create a ripple effect around you. The receivers of your kindness will be empowered to pass it on.
3. Use positive language. Our words in themselves are powerful. Are your words criticizing, judging, or demeaning? Or are they positive, uplifting and sharing your belief? Your positive language will set a path for your brain and for your behaviors that follow. You will feel better and you will empower others to feel positive and confident in their own life.
4. Hold your own well-being sacred. What is essential for you to be well? A certain amount of sleep? A certain amount of exercise? Types of food? Maybe meditation? Figure out what you hold most sacred. These boundaries will ensure you living a healthy and happy life and will teach those around you how to find their own sacred well-being space.
5. When you empower someone, you literally give them the power to believe in themselves. Who can you empower? Everyone! Your spouse, your friends, your kids. When you live your life with purpose and passion, you will inspire others to find their own version of the life that they want. Confidence, health, kindness and positivity are all contagious. When you are around people who are living a healthy and happy life, it rubs off on you. It’s time that you live as you hope your children will one day live.