Don't you love comfort food!? Especially now that the weather is cold (or getting colder), there is nothing better than a warm, ooey-gooey lasagna. Well most lasagna runs about 1000 calories a serving(and really are we just eating one serving??). So our friend Mareya, the genius behind The Fit Foodie found a way to make this fall favorite healthier! Let us know if you love it! PS: This recipe is pin-able: just click the "p" icon at the bottom of the page.
The Fit Foodie’s Fall Back Lasagna
- 1/2 box no-boil lasagna sheets (flat, short sheets – try Barilla or Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 C butternut squash, cooked and pureed
- 1 C non-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 C Cremini mushrooms
- 1 C baby spinach
- 2 C prepared Marinara sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
LoSalt to taste
- Topping: 2 Tbsp freshly grated Romano cheese
Preheat oven to 375F. Begin to assemble layers:
- In a small bowl, mix butternut squash and ricotta cheese with a fork until well incorporated. Add nutmeg and a dash of salt and white pepper and mix with fork. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, cook crushed garlic in olive oil. Add shallot and cook until translucent. Add ground turkey, mushrooms and sage and sauté about 8-10 minutes or until cooked. Remove from heat and toss with baby spinach. Set aside.
- Spread a layer of Marinara sauce on the bottom of your pan or baking dish. Top with a layer of lasagna noodles, a layer of Marinara sauce, a few spoonfuls of the butternut squash/ricotta mixture, then a layer of ground turkey/mushroom/spinach mixture. Repeat layers in that order until you reach the top, about 1/2″ shy of rim of baking pan. Top final layer with Marinara sauce and grated Romano cheese.
Bake in oven for about 25 minutes covered (you can use aluminum foil). Remove cover and cook until cheese is melted and nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before cutting and enjoying.