Disney Parks are not just the happiest place on earth; they can be a healthy place as well! Gone are the days that you needed to sneak in your healthy snacks or give into temptation. Now, you may actually be tempted to try some new, healthy goodness!
1) Fruit carts – Throughout the parks, you will find stands with beautifully displayed fruit. You have options, which include grapes, apple slices, watermelon, pineapple wedges and other seasonal fruit. My kids asked to get the mango slices three times on our last trip!
2) Healthy snacks – Great options here include pretzels and hummus, edamame and fresh pickles. Chip and Dale also have a line of nuts and dried fruit, and if you want a treat, a Dole Whip or a fruit bar is a great dessert choice!
3) New kids meals – Disney’s kids’ meals all come automatically with milk or juice and fruit and vegetables on the side. Fries and soda are available of course, but you have to ask for them. What a great change! The Mickey Check items will have limited sugar, sodium and saturated fat.
4) Low fat options – Almost every restaurant offers clean eating, low fat foods. You can find everything from salads to fish to wraps. The grilled veggie salad with whole grains at the Jolly Holiday café is delicious! The shrimp cocktail at the French Market is also a great choice!
5) Special diets – Gluten free? Vegetarian? No problem. Any restaurant at Disney will give you some choices. You can get vegetarian gumbo in New Orleans and veggie skewers at the Bengal BBQ.
I know you may be reading this feeling that a day at Disneyland should be a day to “splurge”. But in a day and age when our healthy eating is challenging, I am proud of Disney for helping us make some healthy choices!